Please review ALL of the information below before completing the entry application.
1. All professional Distinction categories are open to independent or company-employed U.S. and international jewelry designers.
2. The Future of the Industry Award is open to any student enrolled in an art, design, or jewelry-related program at a college, university, or a proprietary technical school.
All professional designs must be new, original, unavailable for sale at time of submission, and completely finished, and they cannot have won any previous competitions prior to the deadline date of April 2. Winners agree to have their names, photos, and designs used and displayed in conjunction with MJSA Expo 2020 and any publicity generated by MJSA. Winners must have jewelry entries available by March 2020 if at all possible, for display at MJSA Expo, the exception being Custom Design Winners where the piece is already in the owner’s hands, or if the piece has been sold.
Note: For Future of the Industry (students) ONLY, renderings or photographic concept images are accepted. Description or name should not appear on any of the images submitted.
All entries are considered for Professional Design Excellence. Any piece entered into a specific distinction category, with the exception of Custom Design, will automatically be entered into the Professional Excellence category.
All entries must be accompanied by the following (DO NOT send the actual finished piece):
1. Please list all of the materials included in this piece that were responsibly sourced (e.g., recycled metals, responsibly mined gemstones).
2. What percentage of the materials in your entry comprises responsible materials?
3. What environmentally responsible design and manufacturing processes do you employ? Please be specific, including any measurable outcomes (e.g., energy savings, toxic waste reductions, etc.)
Entry deadline April 2, 2019.
Winners will be selected by a distinguished panel of jewelry designers, manufacturers, and editors of leading jewelry trade publications. Judges may reject any entry that, in their opinion, fails to meet competition standards.
The following criteria will be used to determine winning entries:
• Presentation quality
• Effective use of materials
• Design’s perceived manufacturing and marketing potential
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
All winning entries will be on display for thousands of buyers and exhibitors at MJSA Expo in New York (March 2020). They will also be recognized in MJSA news releases delivered to the trade and consumer press; special ads in INSTORE, Metalsmith, and The Retail Jeweler magazines; a special award edition of the MJSA Journal; in the MJSA Up to Date e-newsletter; and in a special section on the MJSA website, mjsa.org.
All Vision Award winners will receive beautifully crafted awards recognizing their achievement.
All first-place Professional Design Excellence winners will be awarded a $500 Rio Grande Gift Certificate; and their winning entries will be featured in special ad pages in the following trade publications:
The Retail Jeweler
All second-place Professional Design Excellence winners will receive a full library of MJSA Press publications (value of up to $400) and be recognized in trade publication ads.
All first-place Distinction winners will receive $750 cash awards, and their entries will be recognized in trade publications ads.
The first-place Future of the Industry winner will receive a $500 gift certificate from Rio Grande and a $1,000 scholarship from the MJSA Education Foundation, payable to any jewelry design, jewelry making, or other jewelry-related degree program at a U.S. college, university, or technical school. Second-place Future of the Industry winner will receive a $500 scholarship from the MJSA Education Foundation.