Paths to Provenance with Daniel Nyfeler of Gübelin Gem Lab
May 6, 2020
Despite recent efforts by the jewelry industry to address transparency and tracing issues across the global supply chain, the conditions under which colored gemstones are sourced remain highly opaque and lack reliable independent verification.
In this episode, Daniel Nyfeler, Managing Director of Gübelin Gem Lab, discusses his company’s Provenance Proof initiative, aimed at developing new technologies to increase traceability and verify the origin and authenticity of colored gemstones. Nyfeler explains the first two Provenance Proof offerings: a blockchain for colored gemstones and the Emerald Paternity Test, a DNA-based technology to prove the provenance of emeralds back to the exact mine. He also shares how these technologies have been received by various industry segments, as well as the challenges and opportunities presented by increased transparency.
You can also listen and subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Play Music.
- 2:18 - Impact consumers have had in the push for transparency
- 4:05 - U.S. and international government scrutiny
- 5:30 - Provenance Proof Blockchain overview, features
- 8:10 - The basics of blockchain access and security
- 9:23 - Who can use the Provenance Proof Blockchain, costs, and availability
- 10:55 - Gemstones allowed, limitations
- 11:36 - Additional tracking features for gemstones
- 12:20 - Necessity of connecting industry blockchains together
- 14:38 - Provenance Proof Emerald Paternity Test overview
- 17:00 - Nano-particle technology and application processes
- 19:24 - Addressing security and anti-fraud measures
- 20:30 - How the DNA-based particles are applied at the mine
- 22:45 - Using the Emerald Paternity Test technology on other stones
- 23:37 - Industry feedback from retailers and consumers
- 25:10 - Feedback from mid-stream stone dealers and wholesalers
- 27:05 - Benefits of increased tracing to retailers and consumers
Related MJSA Journal Articles and Resources:
Mentioned in this episode:
- The Gübelin Gem Lab - Independent subsidiary of the Gübelin Group, founder of the Provenance Proof initiative
- Provenance Proof - Gübelin Gem Lab initiative to create new gemstones tracing and tracking technology.
- The Emerald Paternity Test - DNA-based nanoparticle technology to prove the provenance of emeralds back to the exact mine.
- Everledger - Technology provider for blockchain technology.
- Gemfields - Global supplier of responsibly sourced emeralds and rubies.
- Tracr - DeBeers group diamond-tracing blockchain.
- TrustChain - Richline Group’s blockchain initiative to track diamonds, precious metals and jewelry.
< MJSA Podcasts Home
MJSA members receive exclusive informational and marketing benefits, from free promotional placements to information research services.