Selling the Art of Custom with Llyn Strong, owner of Llyn Strong Fine Art Jewelry
August 10, 2019
Jewelry artist and gallery owner Llyn Strong made her first piece of jewelry in 1972, igniting a passion that developed into a now 40-year career. During that time she’s built a reputation as an innovative, successful, and sought-after custom jewelry maker and business owner. With multiple design awards under her belt, including an Honorable Mention in the 2019 MJSA Vision Awards competition for her Amazing Grace cuff bracelet, Llyn is also recognized for her expertly crafted signature collections. Her store, Llyn Strong Fine Art Jewelry, located in Greenville, South Carolina, features her own lines and serves as a showroom and studio for her custom services. She is also recognized for Gemstone Roundtable marketing events that bring existing and new customers togther for dinner, drinks, and the opportunity to view and handle a variety of gemstones.
In this episode, Llyn discusses how she got started making jewelry, the story behind the creation of her award-winning cuff bracelet, and how she approaches marketing and selling her custom design services.
- 2:02 - How Llyn got started making jewelry
- 2:48 - The percentage of her business focused on custom
- 3:15 - Gemstone Roundtable marketing events
- 5:09 - Roundtable attendees and experience
- 6:44 - Importance of educating her customers
- 7:33 - Her custom process, getting customers involved
- 8:30 - The story behind the Amazing Grace cuff
- 10:22 - Her team, inventory, and how in-stock items can inspire custom
Related MJSA Journal Articles:
- The Road Less Traveled - The stories behind the winning designs in the 2019 MJSA Vision Awards compeition. (Features information and image of Llyn’s cuff bracelet.) (August 2019)
- A Gemfest for All (Members Only) - Encouraging sales of loose gems can lead to custom commissions.
- Customer Whispers (Members Only) - Lee Krombholz, Dawn Muscio, Gary Dawson, and Joel McFadden offer experience-honed tips on communicating with your customers.
- MJSA Online Library: Custom Design (Members Only) - MJSA articles on custom design.
Mentioned in this episode:
Return to Podcasts Home Page
MJSA members receive exclusive informational and marketing benefits, from free promotional placements to information research services.